Friday, November 16, 2007

Some tasty television

Mmmm, that was some good Stargate Atlantis! It served up a fine level of tension combined with the usual amount of cracking wise and plotting clever from our intrepid heroes. The return of Sheppard's Wraith buddy from last season's "Common Ground" was a pleasant surprise. Also, given said intrepid heroes' history of being suckered, it was a relief that they were so very cautious about making any deals with him and that they anticipated a double cross. Of course, it was also pretty damn convenient that another hive ship showed up to unwittingly remove their concern, but I won't take issue with that kind of a fix.

Unfortunately, it's time for me to accept that I'm just not thrilled with Carter commanding Atlantis. I can't put my finger on what about her bothers me, but it's especially puzzling considering I enjoyed her quite a bit through ten seasons of SG-1. But, since the beginning of the season I've been nagged by a change in her character that I find doesn't work for me. Through the last two seasons of SG-1, I was a little ticked that Mitchell had command of the team instead of Carter, but now I'm thinking that she might well be a better follower than leader after all. Part of it could be that, next to Sheppard, she just doesn't seem to be entirely confident in her command, a feeling I never got from Weir.

I couldn't help thinking Teyla's words at the end were meant more to comfort herself than the seer's daughter. Her pregnancy definitely introduces a big unknown into her path and she would be justified in being pretty fuckin' trepidatious about the situation.

Well, the next ep (in two weeks) also looks promising, as it features the return of a character I thoroughly enjoyed and not just because I think the actor is a hottie.

Finally, the mid-season break is right around the corner and I have no knowledge yet of whether or not the WGA strike will impact the second half of the season. Until I seek out that info, I will cling to the hope that the remainder of this season is finished shooting and will not be affected by the strike.

No comments: