Monday, November 19, 2007

Poppies!Poppies!Poppies!

December 2 brings part one of SciFi Channel's three-part miniseries "Tin Man." Think of it as a Wizard of Oz redux, a concept that totally won me over the first time I read Gregory Maguire's Wicked. Not that "Tin Man" and Wicked have anything in common other than the source material (as far as I can tell), but I rather like the idea of a reworking of the story with which most of us are so familiar.

Anyway, "Tin Man" stars Zooey Deschanel as storm-tossed protagonist DG, trading in gingham for leather. Deschanel has made me happy in the things I've seen her in, most notably as Trillian in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and Andy's charmingly wacky girlfriend on Weeds. Her costars include Richard Dreyfuss as The Mystic Man, Alan Cumming as scarecrow figure Glitch, Neal McDonough as a wonderfully and radically altered Tin Man, and Kathleen Robertson (looking hotter than she ever did on Beverly Hills, 90210...and I so should not know that!) as the supremely wicked Azkadellia.

A short "making-of" special that I caught on SciFi certainly made it look pretty amazing, visually spectacular & all that. The way the cast and crew talked about it was encouraging, as well. The root of L. Frank Baum's story seems to be there, but "Tin Man" will be unmistakeably something completely different.

As much as I'm looking forward to it, I am remembering that expectations only lead to disappointment, so I'm trying not to be too excited or to hope for too much. Well, even if it sucks, it's sure to be pretty and that's something. Oh, and the flying monkeys have turned into monkey-bats, which has got to be cool!

2 comments:

Yodood said...

Your title for this post makes me wonder whether you saw some reference in the new version previews I didn't or whether you are speaking of the original falling asleep in a poppy field and awakening in snow fall? Baum's references to heroin and cocaine has amused me more even than the Dark Side of the Moon synchronicity.

Erica said...

At the risk of posting spoilers, I saw something in the making-of feature that seemed to refer to a field of plants which could cause...effects. Nothing more specific than that, though, so we'll see.