Friday, November 9, 2007

Birthday resistance is futile

Man, what a geektacular birthday! It started with a tasty Thai lunch with some friends in Manhattan. Not geeky, but really great. Then came an experience that could have been riddled with anxiety and discomfort, but was actually suprisingly fun. So, a good friend of mine has a bizarre, really sucky seizure disorder and I accompanied her to the neurology department of a local hospital to watch her get a score of electrodes attached to her head. While I thought it was totally awesome to get to watch her turn into a borg, she's more likely to say she's grateful I could be there for her. We both totally won :) Just to be clear, in no way will I downplay how much it sucks that she has to go through this and I definitely wouldn't be so gleeful about it if she had a less positive attitude about it herself. As it was, she was happy to get some good geeky entertainment out of the experience for both of us.

Then that same friend indulged me while we watched the SciFi channel's Friday night line-up. She liked watching the beautiful people on Flash Gordon, and we had a good time mocking Ming. She saw her first episode of Atlantis and agreed that it is a show rich with hotties. As a Firefly fan, she was happy to see Jewel Staite, though we did have some disgruntled discussion about how not badass her character is. We were pleased and gratified when Keller proved to be both braver & tougher than we all thought she was. My friend also really liked how awesome a warrior Teyla is. And did I mention the hotties? Yeah, she definitely liked that about the show.

I don't tend to be very big on celebrating my birthday. It's not that I don't enjoy it, I just don't generally make much of a deal out of it. To get to share it with good friends, being entertained by an unusual real world experience as well as some fun scifi tv, really made it a nice day. And, my birthday fortnight continues on Monday with BSG: Razor in a theater, then "The Menagerie" later in the week.

Hey, happy my birthday!

2 comments:

Yodood said...

Happy your birthday, indeed, my good geekfriend. I had to forgo watching your cheeks crinkle and your laughter peal by emailing something I have been saving for you for months. Enjoy dear one.

Here's to at least one more orbit before obit bit it, i and thee.

Alex Colby said...

Get the fuck outta here! How is it that I'v eknown you all this time and I always, *ALWAYS* forget your birthday??? It's the day before my sister's, that oughtta make it easier ...though i very nearly forgot hers too - thank you, Google Calendar.

Hey, we get to take you out for sushi tonight, and by god, I'm going to Razor with you on Monday, so woo fucking hoo! Birthdays RULE!