Saturday, November 10, 2007

Rule #23: try catching a clue instead of a man

I'm starting to lose patience with Bionic Woman. After this past episode, I know I'm only one of many complaining about what a spectacularly tired cliche Jaime was. For a woman with some hardcore 21st century upgrades, someone oughta smack her "Rules" spewing ass outta the 19th. Man, talk about a shitty rolemodel for her young sibling. Aside from that, I don't think this ep was all bad, but it definitely wasn't all good.

And yet, I will stick with Bionic Woman a little while longer, because it does have a handful of redeeming qualities. For instance, there's Ruth, who is a seriously badass dame who Jaime could do well to take a cue from. I also like the severely-limited-lifespan aspect of the story and I think that could generate some good tv, as Jaime, Sarah Corvus and the rest of Burket try to work out that big kink. Then there's my favourite part of any show, the hotties. Wednesday's ep featured guest star Callum Keith Rennie, who BSG fans will recognize as Starbuck-obsessed cylon Leoben. We didn't get enough of him in this ep, but what we got sure was nice to watch. I also believe the show has the potential to be really good and to explore themes that challenge the characters, if only the writers would step up*.

I want to like Bionic Woman, I want to like Jaime Sommers, and I really hope upcoming episodes don't turn me off completely.

*Of course, that's assuming this or any other show sees new eps anytime in the near future, given the WGA strike.

No comments: