Monday, September 17, 2007

Surprised I even noticed this

Okay, so I think awards shows are mockable shit, and Lost is a crapfest, but for some reason I'm still a little pleased that Terry O'Quinn won an Emmy for his role as John Locke on said crapfest.

Lost caught my interest from the very first episode and pretty much kept it through season one. Sure, many of the characters were annoying and most were impressively stupid, but some of them stood out and made the show worth watching. S1 also had a sense of direction, as though the writers had a story to tell. S2 saw what appeared to be writers flailing wildly for a hook, anything to keep watchers interested in these insipid people and their awful choices. What kept me watching after the start of s2 was O'Quinn, and my certainty that I wouldn't mind one bit being stuck on an island with Locke. As a bonus, his story got a lot more interesting as the season came to a close.

For those playing along at home, Lost begins its third season early next February and moves from Wednesdays to Mondays. With any luck, a lot more of the story will focus on Locke.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Unless you're stuck in Australia (I don't know, and if so, I'd like to apologize on behalf of your TV providers), Lost has already finished its third season, which shifted quite a bit of focus to the islanders' interaction with the Others and let us see much more of what was going on. Seasons 4-6 will run 16 episodes, with season 4 starting (reportedly) in the last week of January 2008.

I loved the first season, felt the second season just wandered too much, and by the end of the third season, I was hooked and loving it again. They've finally started revealing more of the backbone of the island, the working parts and people in power, and showing how those have degenerated from Dharma's original ideals. I'm looking forward to the next season, and hopefully with a precisely laid-out gameplan from the network, we'll see them regain their focus and really drive home a unique, interesting, and crazy story over the next nearly 50 episodes.

Erica said...

Ha! Not in Australia, just wacky on the junk. I do know what season we're coming up on, but I turned off my brain while writing my post. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I think I might have blotted much of seasons 2 & 3 out of my memory, thus combining the "good stuff" into one season in my brain. The only date I was able to find for the start of the truncated fourth season is February 4 of next year, but I don't know the original source of that info, so it's all rumour to me. Has ABC announced a date? I couldn't find it on their site.

Indeed, I'm enjoying the development as the story pertains to the Others and that crazy ass Island. I lost patience with the Jack/Kate/Sawyer bs already in season 1, so dragging that crap so far into the show just made my eyes glaze over. However, if the writers can let go of the soap opera and concentrate on the really cool things, there could be a lot to look forward to. That island is Strange; between healing people, conjuring ghosts and claiming sacrifices, it's extraordinary & terrifying. I hope that if we do get the full story about that place, the explanation isn't weak.

Thanks!