Sunday, September 9, 2007

Straggling post-con thoughts

As silly as it sounds after four days of intensive geekery, it was comforting to come home and watch some SG-1, in the quiet of my own livingroom with my cats around me. That's been a nice little part of my decompression process. After seeing so many SG panels, I was a little bit thrown by watching the actors in an episode. It was suddenly strange to see them playing these characters that seemed so unlike the personalities I saw at the con. Teal'c was especially interesting because of how different he is from Christopher Judge. That feeling didn't last very long, though, and I quickly stopped thinking of the actors as other than their characters.

One of the fan-run panels convinced me to give Stargate Atlantis another shot, but this time from the beginning. What encouraged me was the consensus that Atlantis is a darker show than SG-1 and explores more difficult themes & ideas. Perhaps I will find that satisfying enough to overlook the aspects of the show that turned me off in the first place. It won't hurt to get myself caught up to the new season [which starts later this month], now that I plan on watching anyway with the addition of Amanda Tapping [Carter on SG-1] to the show.

News of the upcoming Farscape webisodes didn't sound good. As yet, the actors who played Crais & the voice of Pilot, Chiana and Braca have not been contacted, though apparently the Pilot & Rygel puppets are being recreated after the originals started to fall apart in storage. On a more up note, there is fan speculation that the SciFi Channel would not go to the expense of making webisodes for a series that's been over for some years if they weren't planning something bigger for the future. Perhaps "speculation" is a strong word...let's say "wishful thinking."

So, I haven't said much about costumes, but there were definitely some really amazing ones. I especially get a kick out of groups of people who get all done up in the same theme. The most notable were a bunch of Spartans from the comic & movie 300, and some Quiddich teams from the Harry Potter franchise. In fact, Harry Potter was huge this year, with Hogworts students running around everywhere. Though I got some pretty good pictures, there was a lot of time when I was prowling the con without my camera and missed capturing many excellent costumes. There were more Colonial Fleet [BSG] uniforms than I recall seeing last year, and a crazy number of Storm Troopers.

No comments: