Friday, September 28, 2007

Did I say Craplantis?

As I mentioned a little while ago, I decided to give Stargate Atlantis another try, this time from the beginning. I'm at the end of season one and I've definitely replaced some of my previous impressions with more positive notions. All right, fine, I like it. I'm a big fan of Maj. John Sheppard and I don't find Joe Flanigan's acting nearly as unpalatable as I did when I gave this a shot some time ago. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for Torri Higginson, who plays Atlantis commander Elizabeth Weir.

The Wraith aren't the best bad guys ever, but they're cool to look at and I like the design of their ships [which struck me as quite Giger-esque, but that could be because I'm reading Alien right now].

Atlantis does have a darker atmosphere than SG-1 had, though it also features some of the humour that often highlighted its predecessor. Much of that humour comes in the form of one-liners, usually served up by Sheppard or astrophysicist Rodney McKay, played by David Hewlett, who's great with a delivery. I still think the sarcastic, socially inept geek is a little too much of a stereotype sometimes, but it's not intolerable.

Well, I won't be caught up by tonight when s4 starts, but I do feel like I've got a better handle on the characters and the conditions. And, I don't feel as though it's been a waste of time [at least, no more so than any other tv watching I do...].

No comments: