Friday, February 8, 2008

Meanwhile, in the Pegasus galaxy...

I'm way behind on my raving about Stargate Atlantis, so let me start with what I thought of tonight's episode. I might never have mentioned it before, but I sure do like a Rodney episode (even if he is a total fuckin' whiner). He's just so damn high strung, and stressful situations never see him at his best. His suggestion that Carter flash her tits at the kids was a good one, though.

Keller's a good character and I like that she gets nervous and uncertain under pressure, but that she always holds up. However, I certainly hope she's not making a move on Rodney [insert scowl here]

The Genii mining facility they found themselves in reminded me of a videogame. Not any game in particular, but just the general setup of being in a room with no good options for exit, now solve the puzzle! I liked that they solved it a few times before they actually managed to get out of there, and that they found the way out by accident. Not a bad episode, overall, but I wouldn't say one of my favourites.

Now, a little bit of catch-up is in order. Yes, the ep two weeks ago, "Harmony," was a bit annoying all around, and Harmony was a pretty damn annoying kid, but I liked it anyway. It was cute, lighthearted, low on the scary, high on the John-Rodney banter. A fun, mid-season snack about which there just isn't much to say.

Then there was last week's episode, "Outcast," which I definitely enjoyed. The sweet little moment Sheppard & McKay shared at the beginning made me happy. Of course Rodney would have gone with John if he could have! We didn't learn everything about Sheppard's falling-out with his family, but we didn't really need to. It's true that funerals rarely bring out the best in people, but it seems like Sheppard's brother is a douchebag and that his old man probably was too. Also, I'm really glad we met Sheppard's ex-wife, Nancy. His awkwardness with her at the wake was a little over-the-top, but I guess that could have been done worse...somehow. I mean, we don't know much about why they split up, but this many years later, when they haven't seen each other since before Sheppard left for Atlantis, it just seems like Sheppard-the-charming wouldn't be so frazzled by his ex at his dad's funeral. Seems, in fact, like he should have expected her. Bah, that's just me nit-picking, though, so I'll get on with the post already. The upshot is that I liked Nancy!

"Outcast" reminded me that I often like the stories that are predicated on the idea that, while the Stargate program and the Atlantis expedition are huge government secrets, information about them gets out nonetheless. Technology, of the insanely advanced, alien-influenced variety, is available to those in the right place at the right time, and helps build some interesting little plot scenarios. The homegrown-replicators story here was satisfying enough without being something the writers will ever need to revisit if they don't want to. However, since they have their very own replicator consciousness on ice, I wouldn't be surprised if she pops up again. So, I liked that, too.

That's my SGA wrap-up regarding current goings on. Now, sit back and marvel at my mad skillz with the crystal ball.

***SEASON 5 SPOILERS***

This week saw an abundance of SGA spoilers. Season 5 (woohoo!!) production starts up later this month, and changes are afoot. Richard Woolsey (Robert Picardo) will replace Sam Carter (Amanda Tapping) as the new commander of Atlantis, and Carson Beckett (Paul McGillion) is due to make a return in a handful of episodes. Tapping is leaving the regular cast to spend more time on Sanctuary (more on that in another post soon), but will make some guest appearances during the season, as will Michael Shanks as Daniel Jackson. Also, Jewel Staite is joining the regular cast, as Dr. Jennifer Keller.

So, no more Carter in charge, which will not seem like much of a loss methinks. But Woolsey? Really? How...unexpected. I'm open-minded, though; I'll give him a chance. And finally, Daniel Jackson is going to make it to the Pegasus galaxy. He's only wanted to go from the beginning! So, that's something to look forward to.

Jeez, now shut the hell up already!

No comments: