Wednesday, January 23, 2008

New Sarah Connor Chronicles

I wish I understood what happened to River, er, I mean Cameron, between the last episode and this week's. The cool terminator with the striking ability to blend in with humans suddenly doesn't know how not to be a machine and, unfortunately, that means Summer Glau was playing the same character she played on Firefly, without the crazy. Perhaps we'll get some explanation for the change in a later episode.

Then there was the irritating and superfluous side story of the suicidal high school girl. I'm not sure what that was designed to illustrate, but I didn't find it either interesting or in any way useful to the story.

On the other hand, I definitely like Sarah. I kind of thought the nuclear program parallel was a little heavy-handed, though really, it wasn't too bad. It's a damn shame she had to burn up the cute guy's toy, but I suspect we're going to be seeing her make quite a few difficult and uncomfortable decisions as she continues her quest to stop Skynet.

The bits with the evil terminator unit were very cool, and I dug how he managed to get himself a fleshsuit. He's a seriously nasty piece of machinery. Yay!

So far, so good, though given the writers' strike, I wonder how many episodes we'll actually get.

No comments: