Sunday, December 2, 2007

It's a small (geeky) world after all

So a friend of mine, a Brit who's been sharing US shores with us for some years now, was back in England recently. We were hanging out after his return to NY and he told me he'd learned an interesting bit of info that he thought I'd particularly enjoy.

Through three seasons of watching Battlestar Galactica, he'd experienced the niggling sensation of recognizing one of the main actors, but not making any connection. Then when he was in England a friend pointed out that an old schoolmate of theirs was doing well on an American scifi series. "You remember Jamie Griffith..." - and my friend explained that you & I know him as Jamie Bamber, or Apollo on BSG.

Dude, my friend knows one of my scifi heroes! Not only were they schoolmates, but they hung out for some years as teenagers. Apparently Jamie has matured considerably (and nicely) in the intervening years, hence my friend's inability to place him sooner. I just get a little kick out of finding out all the ways in which people are connected in this great big geeky world.

So, that's my name-dropping for the day, along with the little lament that I don't know anyone famous. Hmph.

3 comments:

Alex Colby said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Alex Colby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alex Colby said...

Space homo!
Space Homo!
SPACE FUCKING HOMO!

(Maybe it's just wishful thinking, cos, y'know we both have the same kinda wee wee's)