Sunday, December 9, 2007

Close Chapter Two

I'm not sure what to think of the season ender of Heroes. A virus destroyed, a few dead heroes, a few resolved storylines, and a whole lot of questions left hanging.

The showdown at Primatech with Adam, Peter, Hiro, Nathan & Parkman was pretty exciting. Poor Peter, it hurt him to find out he'd been played by Adam, but at least his brother was there to hold his hand and tell him what to do. I'm glad Adam's just in a box, rather than dead. Not that he's very effective where he is at the moment, but I'm betting he'll find a way out. Maybe Sylar can help with that....

Ahh, Sylar. It's nice that Maya finally saw his true colours - black, black and black. His entire performance at Mohinder's apartment then the lab (formerly Isaak's studio) was terrific, from his creepy smiles for Mohinder to letting Maya know who he really is to his quick little shootout with Elle. I loved that he shot Maya, without even hesitating. It's too bad she didn't stay dead. Ah well, maybe she & Sylar will meet again in the next chapter.

I'm a little boggled by what Bennet's up to. Why would his agreement to work with The Company again guarantee the safety of his family? Just because Bob tells him so? Why on Earth would anyone - ANYONE! - still believe anything Bob says, most especially Bennet? Even poor dumb Elle, so desperate to please daddy, must realize he can't be trusted. Bennet, though, remains so utterly awesome to me that I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Who shot Nathan and why wasn't Parkman immediately brain-scanning the crowd for the shooter? Bennet's the likeliest choice and I rather like the idea of him using public assassination to achieve his ends. Of course, there's no reason to think Nathan's actually, really, truly dead, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Who was Angela Petrelli talking to at the end? It seems a little redundent to say Pandora's Box has been opened - after all, throughout this season she's been belabouring the point that she & her first gen pals did that 30 years ago.

As an afterthought, does anyone care that Niki probably blew up saving Monica? Naw, didn't think so. Maybe that bit was thrown in just for the sake of offing another hero and/or finally being done with her tired drama.

The little preview of Chapter Three was nice. With Sylar's powers returned to him, he's pretty much unstoppable. Of course, enough heroes working together could take him out, especially if Hiro & Peter get in on it, but I'm guessing it won't be an easy task.

Finally, I'm left wondering about what would have been different if not for the WGA strike. It forced the season to a premature end and some quick & dirty storytelling. Given everything that was left hanging, I can't help but have big hopes for a third season, but I wonder how much of that story will have to involve cleaning up the short second season.

4 comments:

Yodood said...

You know as well as I, heroes never die, they just smell that way 'til a hit of Clair juice deodorizes 'em. The assassination scene was completely bogus, especially Parkman's impotent gawking at Nathan for far too long and then spotting Bennet, with gun, and not pursuing him. You are spot on with Sylar being the most charming of creeps since Norman Bates. The Pandora's box reference may be the safe containing more than just the virus which they, whoever the hell they are, had collected and locked away.
If a person can have multiple personalities, a heroic personality can have multiple persons — Nikki will return without Clair juice, or not! Just sayin'.

Erica said...

Indeed, if it wasn't for some characters making their own choices (think Kaito Nakamura), I'd wonder if anyone could ever actually die on this show. I can only hope Niki's actually kaput.

That room with the virus and other goodies has me pretty damn curious, mostly about the obvious. Who's brain is that? Why don't I have a brain in a jar? What's the significance of the playing cards (three queens)? What other goodies are hidden away behind all those little doors?

Most significantly, will next season answer any questions at all...?

Alex Colby said...

I'm thinking that the pandora's box refers to the assassination of her boy on live television. Because, simply put, Nathan's just way too cool to put down; the man took hot lead to the chest multiple times, folks. Anyone without "Claire juice" would push up daisies right there, but the world is going to see that *whammo*, he comes right back.

I hope so anyway. Nathan's my main mofo right behind Hiro.

Anonymous said...

Well, I got at least one of my wishes... they killed Niki, but I, too, long for the day that Mohinder becomes wormfood.

Also, Bennet rules!