Monday, December 10, 2007

Updating a classic

Producer Thomas Schuehly (Alexander, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen) and Executive Producer Mario Kassar (Terminator 2, Jacob's Ladder, Total Recall) are planning a remake of Fritz Lang's 1927 scifi uber-classic Metropolis. The gist of this movie features the perennial struggle between the intellectual elite and the downtrodden working class, with some gorgeous art deco set design and standard silent film emoting.

Part of me really wants to see this come to fruition, and part of me rails against the mere suggestion of laying a finger on this masterpiece. Metropolis isn't just a classic scifi movie; it was a groundbreaking cinematic endeavour and qualifies as required viewing for film students and scifi fans everywhere. Of course, it's not for everyone - my significantly awesome other just pointed out that he's never seen the whole thing, because it puts him to sleep every time he tries to watch it. Once I got over my apoplectic fit, I just had to shake my head.

Anyway, the project is in the very early stages and still doesn't have a director, let alone cast or a firm production schedule. I'll keep my ears open for developments and hope for the best.

1 comment:

Yodood said...

I agree about leaving Metropolis stand on its own. The worlds depicted in Blade Runner and The Fifth Element, the most well extrapolated from the present trends, fell far short of the awe inspired in the audiences of its day and shy of being more awesome even today. How can they produce a movie so advanced over the present with which few can keep up with as it is? I guess we'll find out. My bet is that they'll cede to the impossibility or be quite disappointing. Sounds awfully negative for my supposedly creative self to be saying, I know. Ah, well.