Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Sort of an intro

I don't exactly have a plan for this blog, but I started it because sometimes I want to write about the things I'm into. I'm very into scifi, so that's mostly what I'll write about; the minutia of my day isn't especially interesting to anyone but me, so generally I'll skip that shit.

Now, to the scifi! I'll get more indepth with everything later, but for now a quick summary. I'm a big enough fan of Star Wars that I have the rebel alliance symbol tattooed on my ankle. The majority of my DVD collection is scifi tv - Babylon 5, the new Battlestar Galactica, Farscape, Firefly, even Crusade, among others. The next series I'm aiming to get is Odyssey 5, an exceptional [and woefully short-lived] series starring Peter Weller. I don't have a bunch of spiffy geek paraphernalia, but I do have a few pretty cool things, including a puzzle of the original Star Wars poster. Luckily, my husband is something of a geek as well and doesn't mock [much] my appreciation for the scifi. In fact, the "bride & groom" on the dessert at our wedding were Han & Leia action figures.

While I might say I like one show better than another, or this show does something better than that show, I'm disinclined to do much comparison. My preference is to let a show stand on its own and appreciate it for what I like about it. That being said, I'll note that my favourite show is Babylon 5, and that Battlestar Galactica is the Best. Show. Ever. I believe that BSG could not exist as it is were if not for the ground that B5 broke a decade earlier. B5 changed what scifi tv could be, as previously defined primarily by Star Trek. And I don't mean to knock Trek; I'm a fan and really love certain things about the franchise. However, with only a handful of exceptional episodes throughout all the series, it never really dove into the grit that makes for seriously engaging storytelling.

Anyway, this was supposed to be a summary, so I'll speak more on that another time.

No comments: