Thursday, January 25, 2007

BSG is back & kicking ass

Overall, the kickoff for the second half of season 3 was another excellent episode. I'm sorry to see Lucy Lawless go; I liked D'Anna and her cleavage. That last shot of the room of tubs makes me wonder how many times they've boxed other cylons, and why. Mary McDonnell continues to wow me, even though I'm not always fond of her character's choices. In fact, I'm not sure I'd be so crazy about Roslin at all if it weren't for a bit of a crush on the actress.

Most of this ep held up well, as far as acting, writing & story. The dramatic scene with Boomer threatening Hera actually irritated me in its melodrama, though. The dialogue felt clumsy, and the idea of Boomer killing the only human-cylon hybrid rings totally false, even in her emotional turmoil.

But to back up a bit...what did Athena mean when she said she & Hera were safer on the Base Star? Will we see her try to return to the Cylons after Hera is checked out by Dr. Cottle?

I love that Baltar is back on the Galactica. I expect to see him weasel & whine a good bit as Adama & Roslin decide what to do with him. And little does he know, his ex-girlfriend is there too. So, why did she leave the Base Star with Sharon & Hera? It seems that they must have known she'd be taken into custody as soon as they arrived on the Galactica, and it's not as though she could really do much to help fly the Raptor. So why didn't she just help Sharon & Hera get away, then deal with the "murder" of Boomer?

The really big question on my mind now is, is Starbuck a cylon? I spent all of season 1 & a good part of season 2 convinced that Baltar was, and I just have no idea about him now. I never actually suspected Starbuck until this last ep, though. But, we know she has a destiny [if we can trust what Leoban says], and it seems as though that destiny is beginning to clarify.

2 comments:

Alex Colby said...

Alls I know is that if Kara Thrace has finished shooting far ahead of everyone else's schedules, it means that she's leaving the show...probably. And while I'll still watch it, damn. She sets my Hot-O-Meter aflame.

Erica said...

Katie Sackhoff has also been busy on other projects, so it could just mean she's doing other things but not leaving the show. I don't believe she's just going to die, because that would make all the setup about her "destiny" meaningless, and BSG ain't that kind of a show. Unless her destiny requires her death for some reason.... Shit.