Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Heroes in the calm

This week's episode was pretty entertaining. I don't feel as though the story moved along much, but we got a little more information and a little more depth to some of the characters. This episode had the feeling of a calm before the storm; energy is building, drawing us ever closer to cataclysm, revelation and great change.

While Peter seems to be central to the impending apocalyptic blast, Claire's story seems to be where we'll learn the most about what these freaks of nature are about. So, her birth mother is a firestarter and her birth father is...what? Linderman? Though I can't say I think that's what we'll find out, I wouldn't be surprised.

I like seeing Christopher Eccleston [new Doctor Who, series 1] and it looks as though his character will stick around. I'm not sure why Peter thinks the invisible man can help him, but he's convinced, so I guess we'll find out. Peter's brother, Nathan, unfortunately, is kind of a douchebag. In fact, it seems that Peter is an anomoly in a family of douchebags.

The appearance of George Takei was a total treat. Hiro has faced some serious shit so far, but I think he's come up against his greatest challenge yet :) I bet we find out Mr. Nakamura, Sr. is a colleague of Linderman's.

Just to note, I remembered why Sylar's so important - Mohinder's father believed him to be the first of these changed people, "patient zero."

I've started reading the graphic novel on NBC.com. It's not very substantial, but rather tasty little tidbits of backstory. I tried reading "Hiro's" blog, but it was intolerably inane and I had to stop. I appreciate the intent of the gimmick [creating a blog for a character, to further engage fans], but the execution fails for me.

What to look forward to in the next ep? Sylar, of course. He's alive, he's presumably as powerful as ever, and he's pissed.

3 comments:

Yodood said...

An old friend I've known since he was in film school 28 years ago was in town this week and, as has been our way, we went out drinking laast evening. One tale lead to another as we worked our way up to the present. His present is on haitus from being the alternating director for both "Lost" and "Heroes" and is quite psyched about the future of the latter. His name is Paul Edwards, who just this season switched from being a camera man to directing. If you notice his name on an ep, let me know how it was.

He says he only has one week to romance the script before shooting, pretty much assembly line style, since there are always known actors and scenery. Apparently he is one of the up and comers out there, even if he does say so himself.

Erica said...

That's really cool, Todd. I will indeed watch out for his name, and I'll funnel any complaints I have through you ;)

Yodood said...

I told him about you and that I remember your saying you thought Lost was pretty sucky. He jumped aboard mid season. Yeah, complaints only, he admitted he could use help keeping the quality before the money just so he doesn't work himself to death with the demand he is trying to handle. He's on the big ride like no one I've know personally before, unless you include Mark McKinnon, but I don't think Paul is headed to a war crimes tribunal as an accomplice.