Sunday, January 28, 2007

Maybe my cat is a cylon...

I don't really think she is, but it's as good a guess as any at this point.

Overall, I liked this week's episode. The Starbuck/Anders/Apollo/Dee storyline has gotten tedious, so I hope their mutual decisions signal an end to that particular drama. Generally, I actually enjoy the romantic side stories in my scifi, root for them, even - Crichton & Aeryn, O'Neill & Carter, Ivanova & Talia. But none of the BSG quartet inspires me. For a little while I was excited by the prospect of Starbuck & Apollo finally getting together; I really liked learning the backstory about their current relationship in "Unfinished Business" [the boxing ep]. However, I don't much think they're a good fit. Apollo is too poncy for Starbuck, and with little exception, they don't have the requisite chemistry. So, perhaps this week's ep is the end of that particular excursion into soap opera. Now let's hope we don't get treated to a continuation of the theme with Tyrol & Callie.

Anyway, so Baltar's not a cylon, but he is the Chosen One [whatever that means]. Did D'Anna die in the temple because she's not the chosen one? Would it have been Baltar with blood dripping out his nose if he'd seen what she saw, or would he have gotten the astonishing revelation he was looking for and walked away? He would have learned whether or not he was one of the final five, but I wonder what else he might have gleaned.

Maybe Gaeta's a cylon, which could explain D'Anna's reaction in the temple. We know she recognized one of the five, and was even apologetic for not realizing who s/he was, which makes me think it was someone she hadn't shown much respect for before. Heh, I guess that could be anybody, though.

Of course, the best scenes were of Baltar's various interrogations, though I wasn't too crazy about the continuous cutting back & forth between that and Apollo/Starbuck, etc. I love seeing Roslin act the badass, and I definitely don't mind seeing Baltar made extremely uncomfortable. Now that I think about it, it was pretty clumsy of Gaeta to look up at the camera in the cell while he was talking to Baltar. But, I'm not very convinced that if he'd actually wanted Baltar dead, he couldn't have accomplished it.

So, for all their efforts, they didn't really get anything out of Baltar. Keeping him alive and even deciding to give him a trial is a crazy mistake and makes me think Adama & Roslin aren't quite on the ball. Adama was right on when he suggested that Baltar could just disappear. But like Baltar, they continue to struggle with their humanity in the face of survival.

No comments: