Wednesday, February 28, 2007

BSG back on track

This episode proves that a side story can be told without the sense of it coming out of left field or being unrelated to the larger arc. Throw in a higher calibre of writing than we've seen in the past couple eps, and we get a good show that offers character development and progresses the story without a major upheaval in the plot.

This was another Chief ep, but I don't mind since I like the Chief. It makes me wonder, though, if the writers are bringing us closer to this character in anticipation of a stronger reaction to some upcoming dramatic event.

Of course, I was happy with the flirty moment between Adama & Roslin. I'm not sure why I'm so taken with those two, but the romantic sucker part of me really likes their chemistry. Now I just wish they always did the Right ThingTM in their respective jobs.

Throughout Roslin's tenure, she's had to grapple with several issues that relate not only to the immediate situation, but also to the greater concept of what it means to be human and how this humanity will be fostered as the remainder of the race survives. I think by the end of this ep, her perception of the class structure of the colonies had changed to accomodate the opportunity they now have to fundamentally alter that structure to the greater benefit of the survivors. Not that they're on the verge of some happily ever after in a ship-bound utopia, but I think they're taking baby steps.

All in all, a very good episode. Baltar is at his best when he's being an opportunistic worm. Does anyone think he's sincere, or are so many just getting the message? And, it ended on a happy high; I cried when Seelix was promoted.

Now the commercials for the next ep are making me want Sunday to get here quick!

No comments: