Monday, February 12, 2007

A BSG monster-of-the-week episode

[This installment of my blog brought to you by a couple of white russians. I make no apologies or excuses.]

Not a bad episode, all things considered. The many stories I'm eager to see advance were not really touched on, but we did get a little bit of a tease with Roslin & Tom Zarak's conversation, and the brief exchange between Athena & Caprica Six. Of course, I agree with Zarak - a trial is a terrible idea. Hasn't Roslin learned by now that her honest streak doesn't serve her well? First she gives up a perfectly good stolen election, now she's granting a trial to a man who should have been shoved out an airlock while he was still in a body bag a couple episodes ago. Unfortunately, I fear the trial is going to feel like little more than an excuse to drag out Baltar's story [and his life]. Maybe I'm missing some crucial aspect of the situation that makes Roslin believe she needs to stick to the rules of their beloved government, but even Tom Zarak's not supporting her this time. That oughta tell her something.

It was an extra special treat to see Caprica's Imaginary-Baltar finally show up again. Though we only got one episode of him, I've missed him; he's a much more likable version of Baltar. Roslin & her assistant watching while Caprica made out with Imaginary-Baltar was pretty funny as well. Hopefully, we'll be seeing a lot more of him as Caprica plays witness for the prosecution during her boyfriend's trial. However, I'm not sure she's going to be the star witness they've been hoping for...

Though the main story didn't thrill me much, it was nice to see Bruce Davison. I'm left wondering, though...are they trying to make a saint out of Helo? Well, let's just hope not.

I liked the little bit of comaraderie we saw between Starbuck & Athena early in the ep. It seems as though she's been accepted into the fold with no more questions about her loyalty...but I wonder when we'll get the attack-on-Athena episode, where someone decides s/he can't serve with a toaster.

No comments: