Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Bionic uncertainty

Too long without posting! Maybe I should watch less tv, and write more....

So, I'm still trying to decide if Bionic Woman is actually good, or if my appreciation for Katee Sackhoff is blinding me to its faults. It's not like I think it's a perfect show; in fact, the music frequently makes me cringe. However, I do think it's all right and could be pretty awesome once it finds its legs. At only a handful of episodes in, it's hard to tell.

The writing seems to vary a little wildly, sometimes sharp and clever, then abruptly cheesy and stilted (stiltoned?). I definitely like several of the characters, though. The supporting cast mostly overshadows the bionic woman herself, though I don't have a particular problem with that. Of course, Sackhoff's Sarah Corvus wows me, but I also really like Jonas' severe colleague, Ruth, and it's nice to see Mark Sheppard (Badger on Firefly, Romo on BSG) as the elder mad scientist in the family, Anthony Anthros.

An interesting production note: the ep a couple weeks ago, "Paradise Lost," was directed by Tim Matheson, who some might remember from 1978's Animal House ("Eric Stratton, rush chairman, damn glad to meet you!"), as well as a bunch of other movies & tv shows. In addition to acting, he's got a fairly impressive list of directorial jobs, including an episode of Eureka. Hunh, who'da thunk it?

No comments: