Friday, February 12, 2010

Chapter Six: Haven't We Been Here Before?

The latest season of Heroes is finished and I'm disappointed but not surprised. Samuel's little saga did indeed turn out to be impressively boring. He wasn't alone, though. For some reason, Parkman's family life makes me want to claw out my eyes, and the whole Nathan-Sylar mindfuck went on for far too long. Even Claire's big reveal at the end had me thinking, "Enh, so what?" I don't care about any of these people anymore, and all their drama and intrigue is tiresome.


Worst of all, though - more disappointing than any three other boring storylines - was Sylar's conversion. Is he actually nice now? I hope not, because he was damned uninteresting to watch for the last few episodes of the season. He and Peter had an energetic chemistry that I liked, but I thought it was stifled by the action being so weak. What a fucking shame.


Thankfully, the season finale wasn't a complete downer. I liked the resolution of Charlie's situation and appreciated that even if Hiro didn't "save" her, she still had a good life. That suited the character better than dragging her around through time again would have. Speaking of Hiro, I'll also mention that, while the Hiro-on-trial gimmick that went on in his head during surgery was only mildly engaging, it sure was nice to see David Anders again.


Well, Heroes isn't the only show I've left then returned to. Yes, I have made much fun of Lost and mocked the people who watch it, but I'm back on that pony and enjoying the show almost as much as I enjoy the mockery. I won't claim to know what's going on, or even to have a sure idea of what timeline we're seeing sometimes, but I am entertained and that goes a long way with me.


It's primarily John Locke's story that's kept me coming back for more (I'll admit, it helps that I have the hots for Terry O'Quinn, the actor who plays Locke). He's a great character and I feel like I'm just starting to really recognize him for the pathetic tool that he is. I mean that in the nicest way possible. Who knows why (and we probably won't find out), but for some reason the island chose Locke, before he was born if we're to believe what we've been shown. His destiny was on the island and once there, he flourished. And now it looks like he was being used the whole time, still not understanding even as he died. What a sorry fuckin' tale.


Which, of course, brings me to Ben. Talk about being used, and for him it just goes on and on. He won me over when we first met him as Henry Gale, and as his nature was revealed, I liked more and more how manipulative and conniving he was. In any other character, a lot of his tendencies would bug the fuck out of me. But in Ben, I love spiteful and petty, and when he starts pulling the martyr act he's just fucking great. And, I so enjoyed seeing him learn how much of who he is and what he believes are products of Jacob's machinations.


Lo, some crazy shit doth happen 'pon that whack-ass island.


Here's something that's cool - popularmechanics.com has a series of articles on the science of Lost that are interesting. Start with their look at the season six premiere, "LA X", then check out the links at the end of the story for more Lost science.


After bitching about there not being anything good on TV a couple weeks ago, it's nice to have something to look forward to watching, even if (especially if?) it also frustrates and confuses me.

No comments: