Friday, January 15, 2010

What I'm not watching on TV

The subject line says it all, but before I dive in, I want to give a little warning: this post is about the shows I tried and passed on, so it's not very complimentary. I'll rave when I write about Dollhouse or Star Trek, but for now it's all about the bitching.


Sanctuary was entertaining for awhile, but it lost me shortly into the second season. I certainly wasn't a cheerleader for Ashley, but I kind of missed her - they got rid of one irritating chick only to replace her with a far more irritating chick. The stories got dull, my favourite character (John Druitt, played by Christopher Heyerdahl) went away, and I just don't like any of the other characters enough to care about what they're up to. Finally, a good bit of my TV viewing is for the hot people, so between Druitt's absence and Henry (Ryan Robbins' character) getting less hot every time he did something stupid, the thrill was gone.


I also gave FlashForward a try and ended up saying no thanks around episode nine. The various ideas it presented made for some fertile ground for speculating, but the execution got too hard to watch. More soap opera than I could stand anymore. That was especially unfortunate, as I like John Cho quite a bit, and Sonya Walger (who also plays Penny on Lost) is more than enough of a hottie to overlook a lot of other flaws in the show.


V is another show I couldn't give more than a taste before I was compelled to take a pass. Aside from just not grabbing me, it starred Morena Baccarin, who's pretty painful to watch. I've yet to see her in anything where she's able to display any kind of dimensionality or nuance, and her role as Anna in V was no exception. Another unfortunate loss, since I enjoy Elizabeth Mitchell (Erica on V, Juliet on Lost) a lot.


I almost skipped mentioning this altogether, but I've raved about Stargate on this blog so much that I pretty much feel obligated. As big a fan as I am of SG-1 & Atlantis, Brad Wright & Robert Cooper (the creators) have convinced me to give Stargate Universe a pass altogether. Their attitudes about the earlier shows and the fans of those shows has just been too shitty and insulting. I'm not in their desired demographic, and that's all right by me.


So, is there anything on TV worth watching? Well, I'm not exactly thrilled with Heroes, but I am entertained by it and I could probably never get tired of Sylar. I've been enjoying Dollhouse quite a bit, so of course it's been canceled. Shit. I guess this is what folks mean when they refer to TV as a wasteland.

2 comments:

Yodood said...

Regarding your penchant for hotties and our discussions about the portion of them I find with the tarnish of haughty on their once natural hottiness: I now realize your definition of hot has much less to do with looks than I first realized, I sometime learn things. Your tolerance is always appreciated.

Erica said...

Mmm, indeed, I believe hot has a lot more to do with features non-physical than with how someone looks. Of course, I'm not above appreciating high ogleability either (hey, I made up a word!).