Saturday, January 2, 2010

Welcome to the Future

So I was gone for awhile and with no ado, it's time to post again. This is going to get long enough as it is, so for the moment I'm going to skip much analysis and just rattle off some things that are cool, interesting or otherwise noteworthy (to me, natch). Enjoy the new show & tell picture (over there on the right), which is Darth Vader totally saying, "How you doin'?"

I still love geeks, and while the geeks at the LHC have managed to smash some tiny shit together, they still haven't destroyed the world. Patience, my pretties.

Guess where there's water? That's right, the motherfucking moon. Here's the rather dry but info-packed Mission Update from NASA (13 Nov 2009), and the story at the National Geographic site.

Screenwriter Dan O'Bannon died in December. He was responsible for Alien, Total Recall and Blue Thunder, as well as some other stuff. My 13-year old niece just watched Total Recall and we've been discussing whether the Governator's character's experiences were real or just implanted memories. Good conversations.

So I've seen the new Star Trek a bunch of times and I think it's holy shit, A+, motherfucking balls out awesome. Yeah, I liked it, and not just because I have dirty, dirty thoughts about Zachary Quinto as Spock. I might write up something coherent about the flick eventually, but in case I don't, the high points of my commentary would be: for the most part, the characterizations were super entertaining; if the story even approached scientific feasibility, it couldn't be called "Star Trek"; visually, it seriously rocked and a lot of shit blew up; most of the acting was entirely enjoyable; and finally, wheee! I hope the next movie is a redo of the TOS episode "Mirror, Mirror," mainly so I can see Zachary Quinto as evil-Spock. I'll be in my bunk.

It's things like this that make me say, holy shit, I love living in the 21st century - 3D Mandelbrot Fractal.

Well, I don't know how long I'll manage to keep this up, but I'm kicking around ideas for posts about Dragon*Con '09 (good times, good times), "Dollhouse" (diggin' it), and maybe another thing or two.

Finally, since "happy new year" seems inadequate for 2010, I'll say welcome to the future.

3 comments:

Yodood said...

Holy shit! I requested. You replied. How cool is that? Welcome back to the future with a bang like the big one.

No mention of the Dexter finale?
I agree about the beauty of the 3D fractal. Have you seen the octopus running on the ocean floor carrying a half of a coconut shell?

Glad to see you back.

Tom said...

O Bannon made a quirky little thing called Dark Star, which the kids and I chuckle over from time to time...it was pretty amazing stuff coming out in the early 70's...before star wars, etc.

Erica said...

Yo-del-ay-hee-dood... Dexter, much as I enjoy it, utterly fails to make a showing on the scifi spectrum, and therefore is not appropriate to this venue. But I will reiterate, since you mentioned it, holy shit was that great. An additional holy shit to the octopus. As soon as those little sumbitches have pockets, we are screwed.

Hi Tom, through the wonders of 21st century magic, Dark Star just arrived in the household, so I'll be seeing it in the next few days. I'm definitely looking forward to the entertainment!