Monday, July 28, 2008

Yammerings about Stargate Atlantis

Two episodes with Richard Woolsey in charge and already I like him better than Sam Carter. In "The Seed," the second ep of the season, he learned a lesson about how dirty and decidedly not by-the-book life is in Atlantis. And I'm so glad he's coming in with a reasonable balance between being The Man and following IOA rules, and the recognition that being in command of a base in another galaxy does, in fact, mean some of those rules just don't apply. And in Friday's "Broken Ties," I was happy with the way he reminded the team that he's the new guy in charge, but still clearly respected the experience and commitment of the Pegasus veterans. For someone who seemed like such an odd choice to be in command, it looks as though Woolsey is going to work out well (assuming doors start opening for him, that is).

While being a monster-of-the-week episode (not usually my favourites), "The Seed" had some interesting things in it, particularly the very cool sentient not-a-plant-thing. If nothing else, it was nice to get a little more info on how Wraith ships are made... er, grown. Also, it was nice to see Carson and I look forward to seeing him again later in the season, but that doesn't change my eyeroll at dead not meaning dead. I wonder if they've told Carson's mother a clone of her son is back on Earth.

I'm afraid the only thing I have to say about Ronon's adventure in "Broken Ties" has to do with that awful mop on his head. It's a damn shame that when Jason Momoa decided to cut off his dreads, the powers that be didn't just go ahead and let his character make the same decision. It must be terribly difficult for the costume department to come up with a head full of dreads that doesn't look like a bad wig. Terribly difficult. Nigh impossible, in fact.

Other than that, the Ronon-gets-kidnapped story wasn't especially engaging. I didn't care either way about seeing his Satedan pal Tyre again, and I expected a nice clean wrap-up by the end of the episode, so that was pretty anticlimactic.

So, Teyla's back on the team, Kanaan is human again, and Woolsey makes babies cry. It seemed unecessary to drag out Teyla's decision through the entire episode, as if we didn't already know she'd be rejoining her team. Anything for "dramatic tension," I guess. Now I wonder just how much we'll see of her being a mom, and of baby Torren. Michael had big plans for the kid, but do the writers?

Because I just wouldn't be a proper fangirl if I let it pass without comment, I want to see McKay in a bubble bath in every episode. Maybe with fewer bubbles next time.

Finally, Stargate: Continuum is released on DVD tomorrow. I'll watch it and probably enjoy it well enough, but I haven't heard anything that makes me think it's going to be great. At least Jack O'Neill is back.

No comments: