Saturday, August 11, 2007

Saviour of the universe!

So, I watched the pilot for the new Flash Gordon series last night and overall, I'm sold. I don't know what's considered canon for Flash Gordon and though I've seen the 1980 movie a bunch of times, I don't know anything about the serial, so I can't say how well the new show is "sticking to the story." The new series does feature some recognizable elements, while introducing a few interesting new twists. Steven "Flash" Gordon is a local hero, a marathon winner & the high school sweetheart of Dale Arden. However, it's well past high school, Flash is still living with his mother, and Dale has moved on to a respectable job as a reporter, complete with a fiancee on the side. Of course, her fiancee isn't destined to become an intergalactic hero, so we already know he doesn't stand a chance.

The writing didn't strike me as particularly good or especially bad, though there were a few bits of dialogue that I found pretty entertaining. The story so far is engaging and while I'm not exactly pulling for the hero yet, I am curious to see what'll happen next. Also, if nothing else would have kept my attention, this show does make with the hotties.

No comments: