Sunday, July 29, 2007

The Golden Compass movie

If you haven't read Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials series [The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass], do so right now. When you're done, go watch the new extended trailer for the first film, which is due out December 7 this year.
This series rocks on all points - a great story with lots of adventure, danger and excitement; well written, engaging characters who are deftly fleshed out; and the introduction to a spectacular universe where flashy dirigibles, centuries-old witches, and talking animals are the norm.

The new trailer was released this weekend at ComicCon and it's pretty damn amazing. The world looks just as I think it should look. The colours, the lighting, the costumes and sets and props, all look fantastic. Much of the cast is unfamiliar to me, but I think Nicole Kidman will be great as Mrs. Coulter, and Sam Elliot seems a perfect choice for Lee Scoresby. The girl playing Lyra, Dakota Blue Richards, looks exactly as I'd expect her to look. And while the trailers suggest she has the chops to play what ends up being a pretty heavy role for a kid, I hope I'm not disappointed.

His Dark Materials is an incredible series and if this upcoming movie can capture the spirit of the astonishing world Pullman created, it oughta be awesome.

1 comment:

Yodood said...

Oh, yeah! I read the trilogy while you were living across Fetchit Drive from me. I haven't read all that many books that were turned into movies, but I have to agree, this looks marvelous. I am curious as to how they treat the daemons. Holy Crap!