Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Chapter 18, in which Linderman is finally revealed

And he's played by one of my favourite actors of all time, Malcolm McDowell! I'm not sure what I first saw him in, probably A Clockwork Orange, but I've been crazy about him for over 25 years now and it tickles me to see him on a show I like so much.

So, things have certainly gotten interesting, and still more convoluted.

It looks as though Mr. Bennet is seriously compromised, which is unfortunate, but at least his employer still doesn't know where Claire is [as far as we know...]. As Bennet's story has unfolded and his motivations clarified, he's become one of my favourite characters. The past few eps have really reinforced that, so it was particularly painful to watch his "wife" transform into his new co-worker, the super annoying Candice.

Claire's choice to ditch the Haitian and seek out Peter Petrelli had me concerned, and it was definitely a surprise to find Mama Petrelli at Peter's place waiting for Claire - with the Haitian. Methinks mom knows much more than she's let on thus far.

Poor Mohinder, he gets a brief moment of being more interesting than watching paint dry, then the moment fades. And while I'll accept it if Sylar actually manages to kill Peter, I will also find it unlikely & irritating. This is exactly the type of situation in which Peter can successfully tap into his vast array of acquired powers, with his life in immediate danger. A face-off between him & Sylar has the potential to be as totally awesome as the fight between Yoda & Dooku should have been.

It's a little hard for me to believe that DL caught on to Jessica before Micah did. But, the more interesting part of that storyline is Niki asserting herself, and that we actually got to see Jessica exhibit something other than cold confidence. Jessica/Niki has been kind of dull since the second half of the season started, so this injects some much-needed intrigue into their story.

Hiro finally got his sword! I was so happy to see that Ando rejected Hiro's insistence that he go back to Japan and instead stuck around & rescued him. Now, let's hope the sword can still help Hiro save the world, because things are looking pretty grim in the future he & Ando jumped to.

And lastly, we don't get a new ep 'til April 23, though there are five more eps left in season 1. More pleasantly, NBC has confirmed Heroes is getting a second season, so I guess I can be patient while awaiting the continuation of the current season.

1 comment:

Yodood said...

Having caught up to the latest episode in a three day marathon due to curiosity generated by your enthusiastic interest and my friendship with Paul Edwards, one of the alternating episode directors of the show, I find Heroes' primary value to me to be the same as the cartoon feature, the Incredibles.

Anything that encourages folks to look at their differences to the "norm" as a possible asset rather than a characteristic to be hidden away out of desire for conformity is pro-evolutionary and right up my alley. And I believe you are right in focusing interest on Hiro. His goofy zen is a perfect counter to Mohindar's Obi-Wan-like narrative. Besides, as long as he remains pinned to his father's ceiling he will never be able to add your and my names to his list and we remain safe from Skylar.