Thursday, March 6, 2008

New Watchmen pictures up

I've been following Zack Snyder's Watchmen blog for a little while now and yesterday's post is possibly the most exciting yet. It features pictures of five of the principles, and they look pretty damn awesome. It's too early yet and I'm too skeptical to say I'm very excited about this film, but from what I've seen so far, it looks like it could kick some serious ass.

"Tales of the Black Freighter," the comic-within-a-comic, apparently will not be featured in the film, which is quite a disappointment. For me, the Black Freighter segments in Watchmen were some of the best parts of the entire comic, so knowing its story will only make it onto the DVD as an extra is a bit disheartening. Well, I guess I should be glad it'll be represented at all.

The release date for Watchmen is March 6, 2009, so we've got a year yet before it hits theaters. Here's wishing Snyder, et al., a good post-production process!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Those pictures look beautiful.

It's going to break my heart if they do to Watchmen what the Wachowski brothers do to the other all-time best-ever superhero comic.

But I have some faith.

love, fing

Erica said...

Heya Fing :)
I have hopes, but I'm trying to keep my expectations low. It'll be a hell of a disappointment if this is fucked up. However, those pictures do indeed look gorgeous. If they're any indication of the tone of the movie, I think at least something will be right. Now if the story is translated to the screen well, the movie could be pretty fuckin' awesome. We'll see....

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you have ever seen that old screenplay (you can find it on the interwebs) but the climax scene has Ozymandius's plot that Rorschach and Nite Owl stop as going back in time to kill Dr. Osterman before he gets his superpowers. It was a conventional good guy vs bad guy story that completely shat upon the *entire* *point* of The Watchmen, and the reason that is the best ever super-hero comic. But it sounds like they have ditched that old screenplay.

love, fing