Monday, March 17, 2008

Catching up with a classic

Contrary to how things seem around here, I have not forgotten about my blog! Life's been busy lately, and will be busy for a few weeks to come, but I'll try to slip in a thing or two as I get the chance. That same picture of Jason Momoa has been up for Show & Tell for something like a month now, mostly because I haven't made the time to find something new to put there. At least he's hot. Oh! also, happy St. Patrick's Day! Wear green, drink beer, molest a leprechaun!

So, on to some geekery. This past Friday I finally saw Blade Runner - the Final Cut. As awesome bonuses, it was on a Blu-ray disc, played through a friend's projector. Holy shit, is it pretty! I've rambled before about how nice some things look, but the quality of this was just stunning. On top of that, the sound system was excellent as well, so every note of Vangelis' awesome music sounded amazing. Really, a top-notch experience.

I can't say I missed the voice-over of the theatrical version, but it's been so long since I've seen it that it's hard to say. However, I do know that one of the things that captivates me about this movie is the visual impact of it, so not having the v.o. did not seem like a loss. In fact, I think I could have been very happy if there'd been less dialogue, as well. Did I mention how pretty it was? Fuckin' gorgeous.

As far as Deckard being a replicant, I'm entirely happy to speculate either way and don't feel any particular pull towards either theory. The romantic in me likes to think he is, and that he & Rachael are fleeing off into the sunset together, to die in a year or two. But, I also like the notion that he's just a simple damaged human who's been a blade runner for too long and needs to get out of the business. Damaged humans are interesting.

Anyway, a big "fuck yeah!" to The Final Cut. Well worth the watch, especially on Blu-ray. So very, very pretty.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've watched it through once so far. I wound up getting the fancy set on regular dvd and then getting a blu-ray player like 2 months later. I'll need to sell or give the one I have now and get the Blu-Ray. As with the director's cut I feel no remorse over the loss of such classic voice-over lines as "sushi.. cold fish..." and the like, and, like with Brazil, no tears shed for the loss of the happy ending. I've only given it one cursory viewing. I'll watch again more closely once I have the Blu-Ray version.

When it originally came out, apparently my mom and her brother got very very high and watched from the front row of the theater. As it opened over LA with the columns of fire, office ziggurats and flying cars all they could say was "Shiiiiit...."