Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Good things come to those who wait

As much as I really enjoy watching my scifi with friends, I think I'm a bit more contained than when I'm alone. The presence of others restrains me, but by myself I can transform into a squeeing fangirl, without humiliating myself and without subjecting anyone I like to such a distasteful display. I only mention this because I watched the final episode of SG-1 with a close friend with whom I can comfortably cut loose, and before the episode even started I'm sure my excitement was already irritating. I'm lucky she loves me.

Stargate SG-1, the longest running scifi series ever, is finally over after ten seasons. Though I don't think it's a tragedy and it really could have ended a couple seasons ago, I still can't help getting a little emotional.

Considering "Unending" was the last episode of the series, it wrapped up virtually nothing. While the passing of the Asgard is kind of a drag, the massive download of Asgard tech opens a pretty big door for the humans. Of course, that's providing they can find a way to use it before the Ori army whomps the galaxy. Adria's ascension bought them some time, but they're looking at a serious face-off soon.

And speaking of buying time, man, what a headtrip! Fifty years trapped in a bubble. I don't know what else to say about that.

Wow, Daniel sure had a major league asshole moment. I can understand maybe being a little stunned by the forward nature of Vala's proposition, but he didn't have to pile hurtful and insulting on top of it. What a jerk. I almost cried with Vala. Well, even if they arrived at it via a painful cliche, their coming together had me bouncing excitedly. While I wouldn't say I've been much of a Daniel/Vala shipper, their romance is sweet and I'd definitely watch them get naked together. Also, I thought Daniel's "You better not be messin' with me!" line was cute.

CCR's "Have You Ever Seen the Rain?" was an interesting & wonderful choice of music. Comforting, while still a little discordant, which was the general feeling I got from the entire episode.

As I mentioned, this was an emotional episode for me. On the second viewing, I started getting teary eyed near the end of the passage-of-time montage and just kept it up through the rest of the ep. It reminded me of watching the last episode of Babylon 5, which has me turning on the water works every time. I am a scifi sap. Tears aside, I walked away from "Unending" feeling that I'd seen a great episode and that the series ended on an excellent note. Plus, I'm sure it was the same emotion that drew the tears which also prompted giddy laughter at the occasional joke. This just felt all around good to watch. The biggest gripe I can muster is that Richard Dean Anderson wasn't in it. Ah well.

The series has ended, but the story goes on in two movies, the first of which is due out sometime next year.

3 comments:

Alex Colby said...

You know how I know you're gay? You cry at the series endings of sci fi shows.

Erica said...

You know how I know you're gay? You post comments on a dorkblog.

Alex Colby said...

Hey, I never made any allusions to not being a cockmunching asscaptain.