Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Stargate Craplantis

I don't really think it's total crap, but saying "Stargate Craplantis" makes me laugh.

So, since I'm such a big fan of SG-1, I gave its spinoff, Stargate Atlantis, a try. In the middle of its third season with a fourth already in production, this isn't an awful show, but it's not especially compelling either. Most of the characters are boring & stereotypical, and definitely unsympathetic, and they're only made worse by the fact that the main actors aren't very good. A pleasant bonus is the occasional appearance of Colonel Caldwell [Mitch Pileggi, Skinner from X-Files], but he really doesn't stand out. The anti-social geek, Dr. Rodney McKay, is often entertaining, but his arrogance is sometimes way overplayed, another walking stereotype.

I have mixed feelings about the uber evil bad guys, the Wraith. These are humanoid beings who feed off the life energy of other living creatures. They are tall & thin, with white skin and long, straight white hair, are ugly, and boast a tres goth fashion sense. Though they're cool to watch, they're pretty much a one-note baddie so far as I've seen. Oh, and they're trying to get to Earth because it'd make an awesome feeding ground for them, so there's your long-term dramatic tension.

Lest I give the impression that I think Stargate Atlantis actually is total crap, I will say that for all its faults, it's not without some redeeming features. It's in the Stargate universe, which means Atlantis has a similar atmosphere to SG-1, there are adventures on lots of different planets, and we're occasionally treated to some character crossover*. Though the acting is sometimes hard to take, the writing is all right and the stories are, if not gripping, at least entertaining. While this isn't a show I think I'll ever own, it's a fine time waster.


*In fact, Amanda Tapping [Lt. Col. Carter on SG-1] will be joining the cast of Stargate Atlantis next season. For my own tastes, I bet Atlantis will improve once she's a regular.

1 comment:

Yodood said...

While this isn't a show I think I'll ever own, it's a fine time waster.

Such keenly honed discrimination amongst the vicarious mass of spectators is a rare pleasure, else I might waste my time on something less worthy. Keep it up, Kiddo. Onward threw the frog and all that.