Sunday, December 11, 2011

Pilgrimage to my people

It's been over two years since I went to a scifi convention and I'm itching to go spend some quality time in the company of my fellow geeks. DragonCon is out of my financial reach these days, but it so happens there's a sort-of-local con coming up that some friends & I are attending.

GalaxyFest is in Colorado Springs February 24-26, and for a not-huge con, it looks like it could be decent. Last I checked the programming page of their site was empty, but I'm hoping for some more info soon. I'd sure like it if there were some good panels to attend. I do know I'm pretty excited about some of the guests, including Robert Picardo (ST:Voyager; Stargate SG-1 & Atlantis), Torri Higginson (Stargate Atlantis), Denise Crosby (ST:TNG) and *gasp* Claudia Christian (Babylon 5). I'm especially tickled about Claudia Christian, as she played one of my favorite characters on B5, Susan Ivanova.

As far as costuming goes, I'm putting together my version of Snake Plissken from Escape from New York. What can I say, Kurt Russell inspires me. If I think I look cool enough I might even enter the costume contest, something I've never done at a con.

Well, even if this con turns out to be lame, at least I'll have fun with my costume, and I know the folks I'm going with will provide a super good time, assuming none of us has to come up with bail money. Or maybe especially if we do.

No comments: